SMYS is committed to supporting communities that are in need of nursing and other health care. We believe that medical missions should be more than an experience for healthcare providers and a brief point of contact for patients in need. Our medical missions are ongoing, with a goal of creating continuity of care in communities in desperate need, as well as empowering and educating people so that they may help themselves.
Ghana Mission Trips
Medical Mission #1: October 2016
Show Me Your Stethoscope and our partners at Healthy Villages, Inc. organizes and carried out this medical mission. We had eight volunteers – five RNs, two nurse practitioners, one assistant, and Ghanaian health service staff (RNs, PAs, and interpreters). Together we served over 800 villagers in four different rural communities in the Volta Region of Ghana. On this trip, we treated a wide range of conditions including but not limited to skin infections, respiratory infections, wounds, minor aches and pains, sexually transmitted infections, and many cases of malaria. On this mission, we encountered many people with undiagnosed hypertension and diabetes and planned to address this on our next mission.
We were humbled to be part of this mission, which was so important to the poor villagers of this region. This mission was important in that it helped us establish relationships with the local clinics, government officials and tribal chiefs in this rural area in Ghana. These relationships allow us to continue this work of bringing healthcare to these impoverished areas on an ongoing basis. You can read more about his mission trip here (BLOG from HEALTHY VILLAGES)
Medical Mission #2: April 2017
This trip was an intense 13 days, included 3 nurses and one nurse practitioner, and our Ghana based staff (RNs, PAs and interpreters). Over the course of six clinic days (two days each in three different remote villages) we evaluated and treated 1065 patients. Conditions treated on this mission included but were not limited to hypertension, diabetes, skin infections, respiratory infections, wounds, minor aches and pains, sexually transmitted infections, and many cases of malaria. You can read more about his mission trip here (BLOG from HEALTHY VILLAGES)
Medical Mission #3: August 2017
August – Pediatric Medical Mission (planning currently underway)
Medical Mission #4: October 2017
October/November – Women’s Health Mission (planning currently underway)
More Information on Ghana Mission Trips
These mission trips are organized and led by SMYS directors and our partner Healthy Villages Inc. (Godfried Agbezudor and Sara Corry – residents in Ghana). Please join our Facebook group to get all the up-to-date information as the trip develops! SMYS Ghana Group
Apply For A Mission Trip
1. Register as an SMYS member here (link to member registration/portal)
2. Then send a message to Jalil Johnson and tell us why you’d like to join the trip.
For more information or to join the Ghana mission, contact Jalil Johnson at Jalil.Johnson@SMYSOfficial.com.
Also, join our email list to receive the latest updates and information email@example.com.
Medical Mission Trip Details
· Dates are inclusive of travel days – arrival and departure from Accra, Ghana and two half days of driving between Accra and the Volta Region.
· We will be based in Dogbekope village and housed in a comfortable, secure, multi-room family compound or hotel. Three meals a day will be catered and laundry will be available.
· Clinic days will include 5 hours of treatment in the morning and an optional cultural activity in the afternoon. Rest and relaxation is included in the daily schedule!
· Cost for the trip once you land in Ghana is $2000 and is all-inclusive of lodging, food, and transportation. Your additional expenses will be round-trip airfare, passport, visa to Ghana, yellow fever vaccine (required for entry into Ghana), malaria preventative, other vaccines or travel medications of your choice, and your personal expenditures in Ghana.
· Support will be available for organizing travel to Ghana, and travel within Ghana will be led by a native Ghanaian tour operator with 30+ years of experience, and an American ex-pat with travel experience in Ghana.
· An optional tour of sites of interest will be available throughout the trip.